Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ta-da!

Foyst of all...I'm back! After abandoning this blog because I had nothing interesting in my boring life to tell y'all about plus school is a horse's ass and it'squitepossiblethatImayhaveforgottenthatIevenhadabloginthefirstplace/shotdead for a good nine months or so, I finally know what to post, since I am an avid writer and I have writing that I need to put out there before it burns a hole in my head :)

I'll start off with some background information. For the longest time, I've been writing some soap operatic boarding school plot that, well, didn't have a plot, or at the very least, a plot with no direction whatsoever. Now that I feel I've matured as a writer, I opted to go for something completely different. After roughly a year and a half of roleplaying on NaNoWriMo, I wanted to take my seven most beloved characters and throw them in the middle of present-day London, and see what kind of crazy crap goes down.

Allow me to put something into perspective for you. If you don't already know me as a writer, I am one to get severely attached to my own characters. I had roughly fifteen characters that were affiliated with my old stories which would probably be disintegrating in every physical way possible if there ever were physical copies of them. Only three made it into the next round. As I describe them, you'll notice that they get progressively more screwed up was that a spring that just flew out of Grace's head???????????? O.o One is Julie Hunter, who is, hands down, my trustiest character. Having surfaced in my imagination in the summer of '06, she's the sole reason why I'm a character hermit. I've literally spent the last six years or so developing her, and it's been a wild ride to say the least. She somehow started off as this back country hick from New Hampshire's White Mountains who cracked jokes like everyone breathed, and evolved into this more multidimensional character with an awesome English accent who could keep to herself, charm people with her quick wit, or deliver swift kicks to the ass when necessary. She conducts civil conversations, showers her lover with affection, reigns supreme in battles of wits without breaking a sweat, and goes on a tirade when her little brother photocopies his ass or pulls some sort of dastardly prank (more about this s#!^weasel later). Friends have said she reminds them of me, which is flattering because we apparently share the same dry sense of humor.

Amanda Chappell is a character whom I take great pleasure in making a total wacko. She's somehow managed to be the king (queen?) of the hill and the peanut amongst her siblings, since she's the oldest and constantly given crap for her runt-ly height. I like to think her mouth compensates for the vertical challenge that she's been plagued with, though, not to mention she's got really impressive bedhead in the morning that makes you think HOLY$#!^ISSHESCREWEDINTHEHEADENOUGHTOSTICKAFORKINTHEELECTRICALOUTLET/shotdead, because years of ridicule has thickened her skin and drastically improved her defenses, which is ironic, in a way, because she's got that sweet little girl exterior who doesn't look like she can pack a punch until she concusses you with the force of one of her sassy spats. Oh, and she's a spazz, she probably can't be thrown into a padded room quickly enough. *shudders*

Rounding out my oldies is Grace F***nut Whittaker, my whackjob-ish Texas cowgirl who could probably be heard within a ten mile radius when she's shrieking her head off at a bad driver. One of my most consistent characters, she's always spoken in one of only two volumes, loud or louder. I've told some of my RP-ing buddies, you can likely pick out Grace's dialogue just by looking at it; it's all caps about 90% of the time and is usually followed by a string of exclamation points long enough to haul her back to her steamy Texas ranch. There's nothing that excites her more than the chance to "whoop some ass," all hell's going to break loose the instant she starts spitting in her hands and rubbing them together. Oh, and how could I forget her affinity with Monsters? Yes, you read that right, she guzzles down energy drinks she really doesn't need. And when she's done, she saves the cans for when she encounters an idiot, in which she'll send a can hurtling for their head, and her aim's been sharpened by her sharp shooting. Run for your life.

And now for my nooooooooooooooooooooobs! 8D I love noobs, don't you? ^^ Most of them are siblings of my old novel characters who have never had a chance to be in the spotlight, so I don't count them as having associated with my old soap opera xD First in the lineup is Stephen Hunter, and many sources of inspiration have certainly enriched Julie's little brother as a character. Like one time when my friend told me she randomly felt like throwing a shoe at me, without knowing how that impulse transpired in her head. She even assured me it was nothing personal. Or a month and a half ago on the night of the school's orchestra concert where there was word of one of our bassists photocopying his ass. Can you tell this kid is a little screwed up? And I don't know how he got around to training Taco, his faithful Golden Retriever puppy, to piss on certain people. Maybe I, too, am screwed up. Needless to say, he is one nasty thorn in Julie's side. With an adorable little chuckle that shows just what a little kid he is.

Next we have Ryan and Justin, the two assholes angelic brothers bred into the Chappell household. Not. On the contrary, they make quite an ambivalent pair. Upon dishing more of their characters out for some weekly Advanced Writing assignments last semester, I've discovered that the father consumes a nightly glass of Cabernet and that the mother takes sleeping pills before she goes to bed. How fitting it would be if they were trying to keep themselves sane while their two youngest children were busy throwing chairs at each other at one in the morning...anyway, they swear, they fight over dastardly tactics to win MarioKart Wii, and they drive Amanda up infinite walls. There is no shutting them up if you slapped entire rolls of duct tape over their mouths.

Perhaps the character of mine who--lately--has been the most fascinating for me to work with, though, is Connor McLaughlin. I initially thought he would forever be this completely uncouth jackass, until I entered him in a roleplay, and the first character he talked to was a frightened twelve-year-old girl in a shot elevator. The guy had sympathy, I couldn't believe it! Thank you, Fishy, for putting dearest Alice in that roleplay, she completely revolutionized my pub hopping Irishman for the better :) Weeeeeeeell, she didn't quite kill his wild side, but that's all right xD Basically what I love about him is how multidimensional his personality is. You meet him in the park--or some public area--and he's about the most humble young man you could carry out a conversation with. Stick him in a pub, and all hell's about to break loose. It shocked and humbled me for a while how all these love squares and love pentagons transpired over him in the RP's, until I realized that that's what I got for creating an eighteen-year-old version of Patrick J. Adams with an Irish lilt. "Suits," anyone? http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/S_Z/Sq_Sui/Suits/season1/suits-11.jpg Waaaaait, actually he looks better on TV than in that picture, so here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUQKm2nZNE

Yum.

Anyway, I've already got a few scenes scrawled out--including a little spark between Connie and Jules--which I'll post later. Right now I'm getting ready to get my wisdom teeth out Dx Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment